Aston Villa – Watford betting tips for today, January 21, 2020
- Aston Villa’s draw at Brighton last Saturday was only the third game in their last nine Premier League (PL) matches that they picked up points (W2, D1). It was also the first time since October 19th that they gained points after conceding first. They must therefore improve defensively as they’ve registered just one clean sheet from their last ten PL encounters, but did score in eight.
- Dean Smith’s team have reserved their stronger displays for Villa Park this season, having earned 63.64% of their points here (14). Four of their six PL wins also came at home, but they have lost four of their past six league fixtures here, although both wins during that period came with a clean sheet.
- Watford’s resurgence under Nigel Pearson continued with a hard-earned point versus Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend. That extended their unbeaten PL run to six (W4, D2) and they’re now hunting a third consecutive clean sheet. A fast start will be the aim as they hold a very positive PL record this season when netting the opener (W5, D3, L1).
- The ‘Hornets’ won their last PL road trip 3-0 at Bournemouth; their biggest PL away victory since February 2019. They now go in search of back-to-back PL away wins for the first time since September 2017. However, one worry is that they’ve conceded six PL away goals this season after the 75th minute.
- Players to watch: Villa’s star-man Jack Grealish has scored two of his last three PL goals in the 75th minute.
- Watford’s Troy Deeney has four goals in his last seven PL appearances – three came in the second half.
- Stat attack: Watford have won the last three H2Hs, scoring exactly three goals on each occasion.
- Villa have netted exactly one goal in each of their last four competitive games.
- Watford last achieved consecutive away league clean sheets back in September 2017.