Match Preview: Watford 1-0 Middlesbrough Prediction and Betting Tips | Championship
Watford – Middlesbrough betting tips for today, September 11, 2020
Football: ENGLAND: Championship – Round 1
Kick-off: 19:45 Watford – Middlesbrough
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Match Preview and Predictions
- A new era begins as Vladimir Ivić takes charge of newly-relegated Watford. His opening home game in charge of both of his prior clubs saw his side win ‘to nil’, and coincidentally, Watford won their last opening home match of a Championship campaign (3-0). However, they did fail to win four of their last six such games at this level (W2, D2, L2).
- Whilst both teams scored in 44.74% of Watford’s league games last term, the first goal could be crucial. That’s because the ‘Hornets’ shipped first in 20 of their 38 league games that campaign, but recovered just seven points when doing so (W2, D1, L17). They’ll also be keen to improve on last season’s 30% win-rate when home favourites (W3, D3, L4).
- Since Neil Warnock’s appointment, Middlesbrough have only registered league points on the road (W4, L1 away), three times as outsiders. In fact Middlesbrough were in a minority of Championship sides who picked up the majority of their points away last season, and went unbeaten in 55% of such games as outsiders (W5, D6, L9).
- Middlesbrough conceded the opener in 60.87% of their league games last term (W3, D7, L18), but still reclaimed points in over a third of those games when shipping first (W2, D3, L9). Subsequently, 64.29% of their scored away goals came beyond HT.
- Players to watch: Watford welcome Glenn Murray on loan. The veteran striker averages more than a goal every other game, with 61 second-tier strikes across his last 106 appearances.
- Ashley Fletcher netted a brace for Middlesbrough in the League Cup – he also scored in three of their last four away league victories (one match opener).
- Hot stat: Neil Warnock has seen his side on the day concede 2+ goals in five of his six H2Hs with Watford across the last ten years (W1, L5 – 3.17 conceded per match on average).
|Head-to-head matches: WATFORD – MIDDLESBROUGH|
|14.01.17||PL||Watford||Middlesbrough||0 : 0|
|16.10.16||PL||Middlesbrough||Watford||0 : 1|
|06.04.15||CHA||Watford||Middlesbrough||2 : 0|
|25.10.14||CHA||Middlesbrough||Watford||1 : 1|
|15.02.14||CHA||Watford||Middlesbrough||1 : 0|