Huesca – Villarreal Prediction and Tips for today, January 23, 2021
Match Preview and Predictions
- Stuck in the La Liga (LL) relegation zone since the conclusion of their seventh match, Huesca have sunk to the bottom of the table – precisely where they were at the halfway stage of their 2018/19 relegation-bound campaign. In more ways than one, they are perhaps at their lowest ebb yet as their recent loss at Getafe marked three consecutive LL matches without scoring for the first time in 2020/21.
- The manner of their nine defeats this LL season has not been especially embarrassing though. Huesca have lost by more than one goal just twice across their last 11 LL fixtures, thanks in part to seven first-half clean sheets (including five 0-0 HT results).
- That stands in stark contrast with European-place chasing Villarreal, especially on the road where the first half has witnessed a staggering 77.27% of their LL goals scored or conceded. Notably, the HT result has been replicated at the final whistle in all but one of their nine LL away games, illustrating the importance of a sharp start.
- After a commanding 4-0 win at Celta Vigo in their last LL road trip, the visitors will have been thrilled to have secured their first clean sheet in six LL away encounters, and will look to draw upon that result for inspiration as they seek their first clean sheet against Huesca in LL competition. The three previous LL H2Hs ended in a stalemate despite one team leading 1-0 at HT.
- Players to watch: Huesca defender Pablo Maffeo will also be thinking of H2H history, with his last LL goal coming against Villarreal earlier this season. One player who’s got on the scoresheet more recently is Moi Gómez, who has recorded goals in back-to-back LL appearances, stepping up in the absence of Villarreal’s injured spearhead Gerard Moreno.
- Hot stat: The starting favourite hasn’t lost a 2020/21 LL match involving Villarreal (W10, D9).
|Head-to-head matches: HUESCA – VILLARREAL|
|13.09.20||LL||Villarreal||Huesca||1 : 1|
|28.04.19||LL||Villarreal||Huesca||1 : 1|
|16.12.18||LL||Huesca||Villarreal||2 : 2|
|17.12.15||CDR||Villarreal||Huesca||2 : 0|
|03.12.15||CDR||Huesca||Villarreal||3 : 2|