Cardiff – Stoke Prediction and Tips for today, March 16, 2021
Match Preview and Predictions
- Still hopeful of reaching the promotion playoffs this spring, Cardiff City suffered their first loss under Mick McCarthy when losing to Watford on Saturday, with the result ending their unbeaten streak at 11 matches (W7, D4). As a consequence, their gap to the final play-off position extended to seven points with just ten games remaining.
- An immediate recovery from Saturday could be crucial, but Cardiff have won only five of 18 clashes versus clubs that currently occupy the top half of the Championship table (W5, D6, L7). That said, they top the league for second-half goals at home (20), in addition to recording 3+ goals in each of their last eight home league wins.
- A return of four defeats in five for Stoke City has left them firmly in mid-table, and with seemingly very little left to play for this season. All of their past six league wins have yielded a clean sheet, but this fixture has a history of defensive errors, with two penalties and two own-goals across the last four H2Hs.
- Stoke are winless in ten away games (D6, L4), with that sequence including four successive losses in the lead up to this trip. Having scored 2+ goals in an away league fixture just seven times since the start of January 2020, Stoke may aim to keep it tight early on, with a view to leading 1-0 at HT – as they have done in three of the last four H2Hs.
- Players to watch: Cardiff have won the last five games in which striker Kieffer Moore has scored in, with five of six goals netted within that period arriving before HT. In opposition, Stoke’s Nick Powell is responsible for 26.83% (11) of his side’s 41 league goals.
- Hot stat: Cardiff possess the fourth most leakiest defence in Championship home fixtures in the first half alone.
|Head-to-head matches: CARDIFF – STOKE|
|08.12.20||CHA||Stoke||Cardiff||1 : 2|
|22.02.20||CHA||Stoke||Cardiff||2 : 0|
|26.11.19||CHA||Cardiff||Stoke||1 : 0|
|19.04.14||PL||Cardiff||Stoke||1 : 1|
|04.12.13||PL||Stoke||Cardiff||0 : 0|