Bulgaria – Switzerland Prediction and Tips for today, March 25, 2021
Match Preview and Predictions
- Seeking their first appearance at a World Cup since 1998, Bulgaria (FIFA ranking: #68) will be desperate to start their 2022 World Cup Qualification (WCQ) campaign with a win, but will enter this clash on a run of seven straight competitive matches without victory (D2, L5). Furthermore, the fact they have failed to score before HT across their last 11 competitive fixtures will be a concern.
- On a positive note however, the Bulgarians haven’t lost their opening home game of a WCQ campaign since 2000 (W2, D2 following), whilst their 2018 WCQ campaign saw them win four of their five home matches (L1). Expect a quick start regardless though, considering the opener has been scored within 20 minutes in all but one of Bulgaria’s last eight WCQ home fixtures.
- If excluding a walkover result vs Ukraine, Switzerland’s (#16) 1-1 draw at home to Spain last November saw their winless run stretched to a disappointing seven matches (D3, L4), despite scoring first in four of the previous five. The visitors may contribute to early action too, as 40% of the match goals during that period arrived in the opening half hour.
- However Switzerland still travel here after winning just one of their last seven competitive outings on foreign soil (D2, L4), and curiously, conceded the opening goal in the 14th minute precisely in two of the previous three. Despite that, the Swiss can take encouragement from the fact they’ve not lost a WCQ road trip against nations ranked worse than them since 2005 (W12, D3 following)!
- Players to watch: In-form Dimitar Iliev has been involved in three of Bulgaria’s previous four goals (two goals, one assist). For the visitors, Swiss midfielder Remo Freuler has scored all three of his international goals in the opening 30 minutes, with the last two coming in the 26th minute!
- Hot stat: Just one of Switzerland’s previous nine WCQ matches witnessed both teams score.
|Head-to-head matches: BULGARIA – SWITZERLAND|
|06.09.11||EUR||Switzerland||Bulgaria||3 : 1|
|26.03.11||EUR||Bulgaria||Switzerland||0 : 0|
|11.02.09||FI||Switzerland||Bulgaria||1 : 1|
|01.05.91||EUR||Bulgaria||Switzerland||2 : 3|
|12.09.90||EUR||Switzerland||Bulgaria||2 : 0|