St Etienne – Brest Prediction and Tips for today, April 24, 2021
Football: FRANCE: Ligue 1 – Round 34
Kick-off: 12:00 St Etienne – Brest
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:2 WON!!!
St Etienne – Brest Match Preview
- Despite losing 3-2 to PSG in a thriller last time out, results elsewhere mean that St Étienne will be feeling a little more secure about their Ligue 1 (L1) status. Unbeaten at home this season against bottom-half clubs they’ve already played (W3, D4), fans of ‘Les Verts’ will know that a victory against lowly Brest should just about guarantee their safety.
- However, after picking up just 12 of the last 42 available points here, this fixture won’t be a walk in the park for the hosts, and their poor defensive record could once again prove their downfall. On average Claude Puel’s men have conceded 1.63 goals per home fixture this campaign – the fourth-worst record in L1 – and haven’t managed a victory against their visitors in the last three L1 meetings at all venues (D1, L2).
- A draw at home to high-flying Lens in Brest’s last L1 outing may look a good result on paper, but they remain very much trapped in a relegation battle regardless. In fact, the visitors are in torrid form, winning just twice across their last 15 L1 matches (W2, D5, L8), and conceding before HT in every defeat bar one during that period.
- The numbers don’t look any better for Brest when focusing on the club’s away form either, as they’re enduring their worst L1 winless away streak since 2012 (D3, L7). Compounding matters further is their joint-league worst average of 0.88 goals scored per road trip.
- Players to watch: In form St Étienne man Denis Bouanga has scored two second-half strikes across his last three league appearances – five of his seven L1 goals this term have now come after HT. In contrast, Brest’s joint-top L1 scorer Franck Honorat (eight goals) has netted his last six goals in the first half.
- Hot stat: The second half has been the higher scoring half in just two of the last eight H2Hs.