Genoa – Sassuolo Prediction and Tips for today, May 9, 2021
Genoa – Sassuolo Match Preview
- Three losses in their last five Serie A (SA) matches – with three of those fixtures producing over 3.5 goals – means that Genoa aren’t safe from relegation just yet. Having won only twice across their last 13 league outings (D6, L5) and considering the ‘Rossoblù‘ have conceded a first-half opener in all five losses during that run, trailing at HT ‘to nil‘ in four, Davide Ballardini’s side will be happy to see the back of this season as soon as possible.
- Surprisingly though given their recent form, Genoa are now unbeaten in 11 SA home matches (W4, D7) for the first time since February 2008! There’s other positives here too as the hosts are yet to lose a SA game on home soil when netting the opener this campaign (W5, D4) – five of those opening goals arrived inside the first 15 minutes.
- Unbeaten in five SA matches (W4, D1) for the first time since November 2020 and with Roma faltering above them in the table, Sassuolo are making a late push for European football next season. After holding high-flying Atalanta to a 1-1 draw last time out, the ‘Neroverdi’ have now scored their last seven SA goals after HT.
- Ahead of this round, Sassuolo have scored a joint-league high six opening goals within the first 15 minutes on the road. Despite that though, the visitors have been vulnerable in the early stages conceding the opener in seven SA away matches, albeit only Bologna have gained more than their seven points when doing so (W2, D1, L4).
- Players to watch: Genoa’s Eldor Shomurodov has found the net beyond the 80th minute across his last two matches, scoring all five of his SA goals this campaign after HT. Similarly, Sassuolo’s Domenico Berardi has netted four second-half goals in his previous four outings, converting from the penalty spot on three occasions.