Brentford – Bournemouth Prediction and Tips for today, May 22, 2021
Brentford – Bournemouth Match Preview
- Brentford have it all to play for after a 1-0 first-leg defeat ended their 12-game unbeaten run, and their dream of playing in England’s top tier for the first time since 1946/47 now hangs in the balance. After failing to convert any of their 11 goal attempts in the first leg, the ‘Bees’ need to get busy, and add to their admirable 25 league game tally this season in which they scored the opener (W18, D5, L2).
- They enter this crucial clash after winning back-to-back home games ‘to nil’, but they have been far from dominant here this season, netting in both halves in just five league games at the Brentford Community Stadium. However, having scored an average of 1.70 goals per Championship home game, and after netting six times within the first 15 minutes, Brentford clearly have ability upfront.
- Bournemouth’s first-leg victory now has them hunting back-to-back H2H wins for the first time since 2005, as they aim for playoff promotion after being ousted from the Premier League as recently as 2019/20. They’ll be wary though as whilst they’ve won ten league games this season by a one-goal margin, they’ve also fallen to 11 league defeats by a one-goal margin too.
- Case in point, the ‘Cherries’ ended a four-game winning away run with a 1-0 defeat at relegated Wycombe last time away. It was a one-goal margin defeat in the last H2H here too, as Bournemouth scored a 25th-minute opener before conceding in both halves to lose 2-1 – their seventh 2-1 defeat here since 1923.
- Players to watch: Brentford’s 31-goal Ivan Toney has netted 2+ goals in five league games this season, and could be a danger. Bournemouth’s first-leg hero was goalscorer Arnaut Danjuma, who’s now looking to score in back-to-back fixtures for the fifth time this season.
- Hot stat: As these teams have scored a combined 31 league openers within 30 minutes this season (BRE: 16 BOU: 15), expect a quick start in this do-or-die H2H.