Match Preview: Wales 1-1 Switzerland Prediction and Betting Tips | Euro 2020
Wales – Switzerland Prediction and Tips for today, June 12, 2021
Football: Euro 2020 – Round 1
Kick-off: 14:00 Wales – Switzerland
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
Wales – Switzerland Match Preview
- After a heroic semi-final showing at Euro 2016, Wales arrive at just their third-ever major tournament looking to upset the odds again after being largely written off in the buildup. That’ll be the aim for FIFA’s 17th-ranked nation, although a lacklustre 0-0 draw at home to Albania in their final friendly was hardly the ideal preparation, and means Wales have now won just two of their last five internationals (D1, L2).
- Despite that recent poor five-match run, an extended look at the Dragons’ form over the past year shows they’ve won a highly decent 11 of their last 20 internationals (D5, L4). There’s a couple of bad omens though, as since first meeting Switzerland back in 1949, Wales have won just two H2Hs (W2, L5), whilst their last competitive victory against a side currently ranked inside the top 15 came in July 2016 (3-1 vs Belgium).
- On a run of six straight wins, Switzerland arrive in Baku in fantastic spirits and will be looking for an early three points as Vladimir Petkovic’s side aim to make the ‘Round of 16’ for a fourth straight major tournament. A 7-0 drubbing of lowly Liechtenstein – their joint-biggest victory since October 2015 – in their final warm-up match will have morale sky high.
- There’s negatives though as the Swiss – now ranked 13th in the world – have seen indifferent form in the opening game of their four European Championship appearances to date (W1, D2, L1), and they’re winless in their last ten internationals vs countries currently ranked 18th or better (D4, L6 – includes penalty shoot-outs).
- Players to watch: Wales captain Gareth Bale hit great form for Tottenham towards the end of the season, but for his country, the midfielder hasn’t scored since October 2019. However he has four assists across his last seven international appearances. Contrastingly, Switzerland’s Mario Gavranović is in rich goalscoring form, bagging a hat-trick last time out and now has six goals from his last six internationals.
- Hot stat: There’s been five red cards across Wales’ last seven internationals, and an average of three yellows per match too.
Match Preview: Barnsley - Bournemouth Prediction and Betting Tips | Championship
Match Preview: Ecuador 1-1 Brazil Prediction and Betting Tips | World Cup - Qualification
Match Preview: Ivory Coast 0-0 Egypt Prediction and Betting Tips | Africa Cup of Nations
Match Preview: Senegal 2-0 Cape Verde Prediction and Betting Tips | Africa Cup of Nations