Match Preview: Argentina 1-0 Uruguay Prediction and Betting Tips | Copa América
Argentina – Uruguay Prediction and Tips for today, June 19, 2021
Football: SOUTH AMERICA: Copa América – Round 2
Kick-off: 01:00 Argentina – Uruguay
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Argentina – Uruguay Match Preview
- Argentina’s 43rd Copa América (CA) journey began with a frustrating 1-1 draw against Chile in Group A although it extended their unbeaten run under Lionel Scaloni to 14 games (W7, D7) – dating back to the 2019 CA semis. Familiar problems continued to scupper their play as Argentina have now drawn three straight games after scoring first. Partly to blame is their inability to find goals beyond HT as nine of their last ten goals have been first-half strikes.
- That’s not ideal preparation for the Clásico del Río de la Plata – international football’s most played H2H (advantage Argentina – W90, D48, L58) and the world’s first international matchup outside the British Isles – but ‘Albiceleste’ have won each of their four previous CA round-robin H2Hs, three with a clean sheet. Extending the positives, Argentina haven’t lost their second round-robin CA game in five editions (W3, D2).
- Uruguay are the most successful team in competition history, with the maximum appearances (45) and title wins (15). Yet, ‘La Celeste’ start this tournament as outsiders here looking for their first CA title since 2011, and having not advanced beyond the quarter-finals since. Oscar Tabarez’s men are not in great form either, having gone three games without a goal (D2, L1).
- Somewhat known for their low scoring, Uruguay boast a worse goal-per-game average (2.02) at this competition than Argentina or Brazil and fittingly, their 2011 triumph came in the worst tournament for scoring (2.08 per match) since 1922. The visitors have struggled to assert themselves against Argentina too, winning just once in the last ten H2Hs (D3, L6 – 90 mins only) and averaging just 0.70 goals per match – failing to score in six.
- Players to watch: Sergio Agüero scored his last international goal against Uruguay, incidentally beyond HT. Meanwhile, Uruguay’s Edinson Cavani racked up 17 goals and five assists at a rate of one goal every 128 minutes this club season, the best such return of any Manchester United player.
- Hot stat: There has been just one draw (90 minutes) in the last 21 CA H2Hs with all the 20 winners winning at least one half ‘to nil’.