Croatia – Scotland Prediction and Tips for today, June 22, 2021
Football: Euro 2020 – Round 3
Kick-off: 20:00 Croatia – Scotland
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 3:1 WON!!!
Croatia – Scotland Match Preview
- The mission is simple for both Croatia and Scotland who each have a point apiece. Claim all three points here and progression appears all but guaranteed, most likely via the ranking of third-placed teams. However, 2018 World Cup runners up Croatia have to try and gain their first-ever H2H win (D3, L2) in the heartland of Scottish football – Glasgow – after failing to score in the previous two competitive H2Hs held here (D1, L1).
- Just two wins from their last 11 matches (D3, L6) shows this is a Croatia side that’s far removed from their impressive 2018 World Cup showing, yet they have Euro finals experience, and are enjoying their sixth appearance at the championships since independence. Their ‘matchday three’ record across those previous tournaments isn’t great though (W2, L3).
- Scotland return to Hampden Park after an impressive goalless draw vs England, in a repeat of football’s first ever international. That was a 0-0 held in 1872 in Glasgow, and the Scots will now hope a return to the city can spur them on to improve their current 52.12% win rate at Hampden Park (W135, D63, L61), and progress past the first stage of a major tournament for the first time ever.
- However, like their opponents, Scotland have struggled to win in recent months, and have won just two of their last nine matches (D4, L3). Gaining the upper hand quickly could be the key to victory as Scotland have never scored after going behind in a Euro finals game.
- Players to watch: Including last time out, Croatia are unbeaten in the last eight internationals that Ivan Perišić has found the net (W5, D3). After scoring seven goals in qualifying, John McGinn needs just one more strike to join Ally McCoist as Scotland’s all-time top scorer in European Championship fixtures.
- Hot stat: Collectively, this Scotland squad have the fewest international goals (36) of any squad at this finals, but all four of their all-time Euro finals goals have arrived on ‘matchday three’.