Chile – Paraguay Prediction and Tips for today, June 25, 2021
Chile – Paraguay Match Preview
- Although some of their players face sanctions after breaching Covid protocols by allowing a hairdresser into their bubble, unbeaten Chile (W1, D2) have ‘made the cut’ for the 2021 Copa América (CA) quarter-finals following Monday’s 1-1 draw with Uruguay. Unbeaten in six (W2, D4), they’ve survived a few ‘close shaves’ recently, scoring just once in each of their last five outings (W1, D4).
- Jokes at the expense of Chile aside, ‘La Roja’ won’t be laughing at having to make the tiresome 876km trip from Cuiabá to Brasilia. Interestingly, their last five matches produced under 2.5 goals, that’s worth noting given that Group A games thus far have averaged a mere 1.83 goals per game. Additionally, all three of their 2021 CA fixtures produced exactly eight match corners.
- Paraguay (W1, L1) will benefit from having played here on Monday against Argentina, going behind inside 15 minutes for the third international match in a row before losing 1-0. While qualification is still in their own hands, they’ve work to do if they are to avoid finishing fourth in the group – which would likely set up a daunting quarter-final against hosts Brazil.
- They do offer an offensive threat, earning an average of 7.67 corners per game across their last three matches, so if they can avoid another slow start, they have a chance. In fact, ‘Los Guaraníes’ haven’t lost a fixture in which they scored first since June 2018 (W3, D6) and notably won each of the last two H2Hs by scoring 2+ goals, leading both by a one-goal margin at HT.
- Players to watch: Arturo Vidal was the last player to score for Chile against Paraguay and his last four international strikes all came before the 40th minute. Meanwhile, Ángel Romero has scored four of Paraguay’s last six international goals, two of them from the penalty spot.
- Hot stat: Each of the last eight H2Hs (Chile: W4, D1, L3) produced the same HT/FT outcome.