Match Preview: Wales 0-4 Denmark Prediction and Betting Tips | Euro 2020
Wales – Denmark Prediction and Tips for today, June 26, 2021
Football: Euro – Play Offs – 1/8-finals
Kick-off: 17:00 Wales – Denmark
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:4 WON!!!
Wales – Denmark Match Preview
- Wales travel to Amsterdam for their second knockout stage appearance in as many European Championships (EC) after comfortably finishing second in Group A (W1, D1, L1). In fantastic form of late, the ‘Dragons’ arrive here having lost just twice in their previous 16 competitive internationals (W10, D4), and will further take inspiration from their fairytale run to the semi-finals at Euro 2016.
- Denmark make for unfamiliar opponents though with just three meetings since the turn of the century, with two resulting in losses for the Welsh (W1). In fact, this is the first meeting between the two sides at a major tournament and extra time may not be needed given that none of the previous ten H2Hs ended in a stalemate, seven of which were decided by a one-goal margin (Wales: W4, L6).
- Kasper Hjulmand’s Denmark booked their place in the knockout rounds for the first time since 2004 thanks to an impressive 4-1 dismantling of Russia on the final matchday of Group B. The 1992 EC champions overcame the loss of talisman Christian Eriksen to become the only side in EC history to advance from the group stage despite losing their first two matches. More negatively though – excluding their ‘92 triumph – Denmark have only won one knockout game in their history (W1, L6).
- The loss of Eriksen could be further highlighted should this match-up go to penalties. As his country’s chief penalty-taker, his absence was felt when Tottenham’s Pierre-Emile Højbjerg missed a spot-kick in the first group game which could prove pivotal in what would be Denmark’s fourth shoot-out at a major tournament (W1, L2).
- Players to watch: With two assists in the group stage, Wales record scorer Gareth Bale netted three goals at Euro 2016 but is yet to score this time around. Meanwhile, Yussuf Poulsen has now scored in consecutive games and needs one more goal to equal Denmark’s record of three goals from a single player at the EC.
- Hot stat: Denmark need one more goal to equal their goals scored from their victorious Euro 1992 campaign (6), where they also failed to win both opening games (D1, L1).