Match Preview: USA 0-0 Mexico Prediction and Betting Tips | Gold Cup
USA – Mexico Prediction and Tips for today, August 2, 2021
Football: NORTH & CENTRAL AMERICA: Gold Cup – Play Offs – Final
Kick-off: 01:30 USA – Mexico
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:0 LOST
USA – Mexico Match Preview
- Gyasi Zardes’s 86th-minute strike against Qatar sealed USA’s 13th CONCACAF Gold Cup final appearance where they’ll take on reigning champions and 11-time competition winners Mexico. Heading into the showpiece event in Las Vegas, confidence will be high given that Gregg Berhalter’s USA side equalled their best ever run of 13 straight wins on home soil with that Qatar victory, with each of the previous three seeing the same 1-0 scoreline.
- This ties in nicely with the fact that USA have now conceded just three goals across their previous 11 CONCACAF Gold Cup fixtures. In fact, they’ve suffered just one defeat within that sequence (W10), although that loss did come against rivals Mexico in the final of the 2019 edition of the competition.
- Mexico booked their place in the final in dramatic fashion, with Hector Herrera hitting the back of the net in the 98th minute to break the hearts of opponents Canada. In doing so, the midfielder sealed his nations record 14th CONCACAF final appearance with no side reaching the final on more occasions.
- The Latin American side will undoubtedly take confidence from the fact that each of their previous four final appearances ended in victory – two of which came against USA, though it was their opponents who were the last side to defeat them in a CONCACAF final (2007). Notably, in each of those most recent four final victories, ‘El Tricolor’ scored their final goal of the game inside the final 30 minutes of the match.
- Players to watch: Following his strike against Qatar, Zardes has now scored in two of his three most recent appearances as a USA second-half substitute. Meanwhile, Mexico’s Rogelio Funes Mori has scored four goals in the competition, three arriving before the 30th minute mark.
- Hot stat: Just two of the last 14 CONCACAF final matches have finished level after 90 minutes.