Match Preview: Malmo FF 2-1 Rangers Prediction and Betting Tips | Champions League – Qualification
Malmo FF – Rangers Prediction and Tips for today, August 3, 2021
Football: Champions League – Qualification – Semi-finals
Kick-off: 18:00 Malmo FF – Rangers
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:1 WON!!!
Malmo FF – Rangers Match Preview
- Swedish champions and current domestic table-toppers, Malmö, successfully navigated the first two qualifying rounds for the UEFA Champions League (UCL), albeit narrowly, beating Latvian side Riga 2-1 on aggregate, before following it up with a nail biting 4-3 aggregate win over Finnish club HJK Helsinki. After scoring in all four of their qualifying games so far, they clearly bring attacking prowess into this clash.
- Malmö will surely need to bolster their defence if they want to reach the final qualifying round though, and end a six-year hiatus from the UCL group stage. However this qualifying stage is where their last push for a UCL group place concluded, back in 2018/19, but confidence should still be high here as Malmö are currently riding a nine-game undefeated streak at home in all competitions (W8, D1).
- Rangers finally broke the nine-year stranglehold that Old Firm rivals Celtic had on Scottish football last season, winning the league undefeated, and earning the right to enter the UCL picture in the third qualifying round. Now beginning their quest for a first UCL group stage appearance in a decade, Steven Gerrard’s side will be aiming to carry the momentum of their historic 102-point 2020/21 title winning season into European competition.
- The ‘Gers’ will be hoping history doesn’t repeat itself, as their last push for the UCL group stage ended in this round of qualifying in 2011/12, after a title winning season, at the hands of none other than Malmö! However Rangers are a different team now after conceding only 13 goals (0.34 on average per game) while scoring 92 (2.42 on average) during last year’s domestic season – form that was reinforced with a 3-0 win in their 2021/22 season opener vs Livingston.
- Players to watch: Malmö midfielder and club captain Anders Christiansen has three goal contributions across his three UCL qualifiers this season (G:2, A1), while Rangers have never lost when winger Ianis Hagi has scored (W11).
- Hot stat: Since September 2020, these two sides have combined for just one 0-0 scoreline in 80 competitive matches.