Brazil Ol. – Spain Ol. Prediction and Tips for today, August 7, 2021
Brazil Ol. – Spain Ol. Match Preview
- Steeped in history, one-time FIFA World Cup final venue International Stadium Yokohama hosts the 27th Olympic final in men’s football. It will be the fifth-ever gold medal match to pit a South American nation against a European opponent, with Europe holding the edge across the previous four instances (W2, D1, L1).
- Indeed, Brazil are technically winless in Olympic finals against European nations to date (D1, L2 – 90 mins), although their semi-final win over Mexico on penalties maintained the Brazil U23 squad’s perfect Olympic record from shootouts (W2, L0). Notably, all nine of their penalties across those shootouts were successfully converted.
- Brazil’s semi-final appearance also marked a third game across their last four to produce under 1.5 match goals and see at least one team fail to score, potentially putting extra importance on striking first.
- For their part, Spain have reached a fourth Olympic final, following an extra-time semi-final winner vs Japan. They have proven to be the masters of striking late, notably registering seven of their eight tournament strikes at Tokyo 2020 after the 60th minute.
- Despite Spain’s focus on possession at this Olympiad, it is interesting to note that both of the U23 squad’s previous gold medal matches have produced over 3.5 match goals. Wider Olympic history still demands a close margin though, with every preceding final (of eight) held since 1988 seeing the sides separated by less than 1.5 goals.
- Players to watch: Aiming to become part of only the fifth team ever to successfully defend a gold medal, Reinier struck Brazil’s decisive semi-final penalty. Meanwhile, Marco Asensio – scorer of Spain’s ET winner vs Japan – has seen five of his last six goals for club side Real Madrid come during matches producing over 2.5 goals and seeing both teams score.
- Hot stat: The last four Olympic champions have won one half by a specific 1-0 scoreline in their respective finals.