B. Monchengladbach – Bayern Munich Prediction and Tips for today, August 13, 2021
B. Monchengladbach – Bayern Munich Match Preview
- Borussia Mönchengladbach finished in a disappointing eighth place last season, and subsequently failed to qualify for European football. New coach Adi Hütter has clear instructions to get the club back on the European stage, and whilst a fixture against defending champions Bayern Munich is a tough way to begin his tenure, Gladbach have registered a clean sheet the last three times they opened a new Bundesliga campaign at home (W2, D1).
- A poor home record last season, where Gladbach picked up only 28 of a possible 51 points, is cause for concern though. However the return of fans might buoy the ‘Foals’ and see them kick-off the campaign in style, particularly as Gladbach have won three of the last four home league H2Hs (L1), each time by a one goal-margin.
- Bayern extended their record title-winning Bundesliga streak to nine in 2020/21, ending the campaign just two goals shy of their own Bundesliga season record of 101 goals set back in 1971/72. However there are doubts about whether new coach Julian Nagelsmann can handle the demands of this job, and with only 21 current outfield players his squad is small.
- A disappointing pre-season has piled more pressure on Nagelsmann to start well here, but this is a team that knows how to perform on the road. Bayern picked up a league-high 35 away points last campaign, and won all nine Bundesliga away games that saw them lead at HT.
- Players to watch: Lars Stindl scored Gladbach’s winning goal in the DFB-Pokal last time out, and was his team’s top league scorer in 2020/21 with 14 goals. However that pales in comparison with Robert Lewandowski’s record-breaking 41 Bundesliga goals for Bayern last season – three of which were first-half strikes vs Gladbach!
- Hot stat: Bayern are unbeaten in nine consecutive opening league games (W8, D1). However their last defeat on matchday one came vs none other than Gladbach!