Sevilla – Salzburg Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, September 14, 2021
Sevilla – Salzburg Match Preview
- Spanish powerhouses Sevilla have the co-honor of raising the curtain on the 2021/22 UEFA Champions League (UCL) group stage, and how they love the bright lights of a European opening matchday, losing their first fixture only three times across their previous 21 seasons in major European competition (W12, D6). With Sevilla also losing just once across their last nine UCL group games (W5, D3), and boasting an unbeaten start to the La Liga campaign, confidence will be high in the home locker room.
- A rich history of progressing from five of their six previous UCL groups bodes well for ‘Los Nervionenses’, whose manager, Julen Lopetegui, does his best work at home, winning ten of his 14 UCL home games (D1, L3). The minor H2H history also favours Sevilla, as a pair of 2-0 wins saw off Salzburg in the 2008/09 UEFA Cup first round.
- Qualifying for their third successive UCL group stage via the playoffs, Salzburg won’t be thinking of those previous H2H defeats as the Austrian champions are flying high with a 100% winning start in the Admiral Bundesliga (W7), and 15 straight competitive wins! However they’re brought back down to earth by the fact they’ve won just two of their last 15 matches in UCL and Europa League action (D3, L10 – excluding qualifiers).
- If nothing else, Salzburg provide great entertainment value, as the 3.7 total goals per game seen across their 18 UCL group stage matches is the highest average of any team that’s played in more than two campaigns. So if the ‘Red Bulls’ decide to spread their wings, we could be in for a cracking goal-fest.
- Players to watch: Sevilla’s Youssef En-Nesyri is averaging a goal every 64 minutes in his eight UCL appearances to date, while Salzburg youngster Brenden Aaronson registered two goals and an assist in the two qualification games.
- Hot stat: There’s been only one 0-0 draw in the last 101 combined competitive fixtures of these two clubs.