K. Almaty – Omonia Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, September 16, 2021
K. Almaty – Omonia Match Preview
- After an unsuccessful tilt at both the UEFA Champions League (UCL) and Europa League (UEL) qualification rounds, the new Europa Conference League (UECL) will give Kairat Almaty and seven other clubs their first taste of continental group stage action. Their campaign kicks off against Omonia, and as the only clash of this matchday between two reigning national champions, it promises to pit the best of Kazakhstan and Cyprus against one another.
- Kairat are the only Kazakh club other than Astana to reach the group stage of any UEFA competition across the last eight seasons, working their way through the various qualification rounds with an undefeated home record (W3, D1). This is no new experience for manager Kurban Berdyev however, who previously steered Russian clubs Rubin Kazan and Rostov through a combined four UCL/UEL group stages.
- Cypriot champions Omonia have been involved in UEFA competition sporadically for more than half a century, but it was only last season – when finishing fourth in Group E of the UEL – that they made their maiden group stage appearance. Grabbing two victories in this tournament against fellow rank outsiders Kairat will be crucial if they want to advance further this time around.
- Drastic improvements when travelling are going to have to be made, as Omonia have not secured a 90 minute victory away from home in continental football across the last two seasons (D5, L4). In fact, their last five matches in all competitions have been won by the home side on the day either outright or via penalties.
- Players to watch: Kairat’s Artur Shushenachev has scored in five of his last eight club fixtures, including four team opening goals, while Andronikos Kakoulis has amassed five goals in his last six games for Omonia and Cyprus U21 – all but one coming before HT.
- Hot streak: Omonia have not been involved in a 0-0 draw since March (18 competitive fixtures).