FC Koln – Greuther Furth Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, October 1, 2021
FC Koln – Greuther Furth Match Preview
- Cologne may be off to their best start to a Bundesliga season in four years (W2, D3, L1), but they will remember all too well not to take clashes with newly promoted clubs for granted. Last season, some underwhelming performances against then newcomers Bielefeld and Stuttgart (W2, D1, L1) contributed to them contesting the end of season promotion-relegation playoff.
- Due to their inability to hold a lead this campaign, Cologne fans won’t be holding their breath even if they net first here as their last three Bundesliga outings all saw them convert scoring the opening goal into a 1-1 draw. In fact, the ‘Billy Goats’ ended the last matchday as one of just two clubs to have failed to win at least three times after scoring first.
- For the first time since returning to the top two tiers of German football in 1997/98, Greuther Fürth have opened a new league season (in either Bundesliga 1 or 2) without a single win in their first six matches (D1, L5). As a result, the visitors are following a particularly grim trajectory as six of the last eight clubs to begin a Bundesliga campaign with one or no points from their first six games suffered relegation.
- Their only opening goal for the entire Bundesliga season came during their previous away trip, which ultimately ended in defeat to struggling Hertha Berlin whilst here, they face up to a third consecutive Friday evening fixture, having lost the previous two. Contributing with those two previous defeats, the last four Friday evening Bundesliga games have now all been won by the pre-match favourite.
- Players to watch: Anthony Modeste remains the only player to record Cologne’s opening goal more than once this Bundesliga season (four times), as does Branimir Hrgota for Greuther Fürth (twice).
- Hot streak: All seven of Cologne’s games across 2021/22 competitions have seen both teams score.