Argentina – Peru Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, October 15, 2021
Argentina – Peru Match Preview
- Argentina’s last match was a historic night as Lionel Messi became the first South American to score 80 international goals as he helped his nation handsomely defeat Uruguay 3-0 to extend their unbeaten streak to 24 games. Ten of those unbeaten matches came in this qualifying campaign (W6, D4) consolidating La Albiceleste’s hold on second place with a six-point gap over the chasing pack.
- They will be confident of maintaining that lead ahead of this match against Peru, a side Argentina haven’t lost to in World Cup Qualifying (WCQ) since 1985. Adding weight to those claims, Peru is one of four CONMEBOL teams Argentina have never lost any match at home against (across 22 matches), and that includes nine WCQ fixtures (W6, D3).
- Peru’s hopes of making it to consecutive World Cup finals for only the second time in their history are now looking bleak after a 1-0 loss against Bolivia left them four points behind fifth-placed Colombia. As three of their remaining six qualifiers are against teams directly above them in the race for fourth and fifth, they’ll hope for a miracle and a historic win on this trip to keep their qualification chances alive.
- Whilst the visitors’ last WCQ trip to Argentina ended in a creditable goalless draw, their recent away form has been anything but comforting. Ahead of this crucial fixture, ‘La Blanquirroja’ are on a four-game losing streak away from home and have lost three of their last four away WCQ encounters.
- Players to watch: Lautaro Martínez’s winning contribution against Uruguay continued Argentina’s unbeaten streak since August 2019 in matches in which he scored. Peru’s hopes will hinge on Christian Cueva whose last eight national goals have come in wins, including all three in this campaign.
- Hot stat: Peru haven’t conceded more than twice in a WCQ away match since the start of 2016.