Alaves – Betis Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, October 18, 2021
Alaves – Betis Match Preview
- Alavés proved unable to build on their shock 1-0 win against champions Atlético Madrid late last month, falling to defeat by the same scoreline in Bilbao six days later. This ensured that Alavés stayed in the bottom three, while now failing to recover a single point from any of the 17 La Liga (LL) games to see them concede first during 2021.
- That could see Alavés revert to a ‘safety first’ game plan, and they have been initially hard to break down here so far, trailing at half-time in only one of their four home games (HT: W1, D2, L1) and doing so in none of their last three home clashes against Real Betis.
- Betis know their mid-table placing is below-par, but a reversal of the Verdiblancos’ 2-0 defeat to Villarreal (Oct 3) would have seen them lie fourth over the international break. Such are the fine margins in the top half, Betis too may wish to start off defensively, especially as they are without a clean sheet in seven LL road trips (W3, D3, L1).
- In any case, Betis can likely afford to save their best attacks until the latter minutes. They did just that in each of those three wins shown above, seeing only one of their eight strikes registered across that trio arrive before the 45th minute. Those wins also saw Betis consistently concede the second match goal.
- Key battle: Alavés goalkeeper Fernando Pacheco is aiming for his first successive shutouts at home since September/October 2020. Awaiting him is personal nemesis Borja Iglesias, who came off the bench to hit a double in the last H2H – one of eight games that form Betis’ 100% win-rate from LL matches seeing him score in the second half.
- Hot stat: The six individual halves played across Betis’ last three away games drawn/lost have all produced a 1-0 scoreline either way.