Union Berlin – RB Leipzig Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, December 3, 2021
Union Berlin – RB Leipzig Preview
- Union Berlin head into this clash with just one point less after 13 rounds than in 2020/21 – their best-ever Bundesliga season. However a 2-1 loss at Frankfurt in the last round was their first defeat of the Bundesliga season against opposition sitting below them, a scenario the top-four chasers will hope to avoid a repeat of here as the division’s two youngest clubs meet with RB Leipzig sitting two points below the capital club.
- Another defeat should be avoided if home form is anything to go by, as Union have lost just one of their previous 23 home league games (W12, D10, L1), with that sole loss coming vs Bayern! Their Bundesliga H2H home record is currently all-square but limited (W1, L1), but that one H2H defeat was a 4-0 hammering – Union’s biggest-ever Bundesliga home loss.
- This is a different RB Leipzig side from then, and one that’s registered their worst-ever start after 13 league games (W5, D3, L5) in what is the first time they are not placed at least third at this stage of a Bundesliga campaign. Two consecutive half-time/full-time league defeats coming into this clash makes for particularly negative reading, but they are yet to lose three in a row in the Bundesliga.
- Could that change here? It’s possible as this Bundesliga season Leipzig have struggled away from home (D3, L3), and currently possess the second-worst away attack averaging a paltry 0.5 goals per game. In fact their last away league win came back in April at relegated Werder Bremen!
- Players to watch: With eight goals (four match openers), Union’s Taiwo Awoniyi is enjoying his best Bundesliga campaign. Meanwhile Christopher Nkunku has nine goal contributions for Leipzig this Bundesliga season (G5, A4), but all came at home. Yet strangely, six of his eight goal contributions in the Champions League came away (G7, A1).
- Hot stat: The only Bundesliga home game Union have lost this season was the only one in which they conceded first. However, the last time they won at home after conceding first was against none-other than Leipzig.