Antwerp – Olympiacos Piraeus Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, December 9, 2021
Antwerp – Olympiacos Piraeus Preview
- Their elimination from European competition may already be confirmed, but for Antwerp, pride is on the line as they’re still hunting their first UEFA Europa League (UEL) group stage win of this campaign. While that wouldn’t be enough to lift them off the foot of Group D, domestic victory at the weekend was a perfect warm-up for this historic clash as they welcome Greek opposition to the Bosuilstadion for the first time.
- Visiting Olympiacos got the better of Antwerp in the reverse fixture (2-1), but the Belgian outfit will hope a return to home soil will bear fruit. Despite losing their two prior group stage home games ‘to nil’, Antwerp are unbeaten in seven on home turf in the Belgian Pro League (W5, D2) and will now need to transfer that form to avoid losing three consecutive home matches in European competition for the first time in their history.
- Olympiacos may be the side to change Antwerp’s home UEL fortunes though, having lost on three of their four visits to Belgium. History repeating itself for the fourth time would end Olympiacos’ chances of claiming top spot – a conquest which can only happen if Fenerbahçe also beat Frankfurt.
- Their task is heightened by losing 11 of their previous 20 UEL away games (excluding qualifiers), so their prospects of claiming top spot appear bleak. A clean sheet may be Olympiacos’ best route to victory as their last four UEL away victories (90 mins only) came ‘to nil’, and after limiting Antwerp to just one shot on target in the reverse fixture, a repeat performance would certainly boost their chances of grabbing all three points.
- Players to watch: Antwerp’s Mbwana Samatta scored in the reverse fixture and his last three club goals have come on or beyond the 75th minute. In contrast, Youssef El Arabi has netted three UEL group stage goals this term, two of which were game openers.
- Hot stat: Only one of Olympiacos’ last 20 UEL away games (excluding qualifiers) finished level (W8, L11).