Reading – Derby Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 3, 2022
Football: ENGLAND: Championship – Round 26
Kick-off: 16:00 Reading – Derby
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:2 WON!!!
Reading – Derby Match Preview
- One win in their last five Championship outings (D2, L2) has left Reading treading water to keep themselves out of the relegation zone. The ‘Royals’ will hold high hopes for snapping out of their downward spiral though, having defeated Derby in their last two home league H2Hs – netting three times on each occasion – although seven winless H2H home matches prior may still weigh heavy on Reading.
- After losing just one of their six opening home fixtures of the 2021/22 league campaign (W4, D1, L1), a recent downturn in home form could be seen as responsible for their lowly position. Indeed, one more winless league game here will mark a sixth game without a victory on home soil, a feat last achieved under Paul Clement between April and September 2018. With just two goals scored across their last four games here, it’s obvious where their problems lie.
- Despite being shackled with two separate points deductions, Derby are putting up a fight to survive and victory over Reading could close the gap on the 21st-placed team to eight points. Three successive Championship victories have possibly instilled some belief in fans, but winning their first league match of the calendar year just once in the last six seasons (D2, L3) is a negative ahead of this clash.
- Much stronger at home than away this season (20 points vs 11), falling behind has proven a disaster this term, as Wayne Rooney’s side have only come from behind to claim maximum returns once this Championship season (W1, D1, L7). Although even if Derby do lead, they may not be sitting comfortably, having conceded four away goals after the 80th minute in the Championship this season.
- Players to watch: George Pușcaș could be called upon to lead the Reading line, but he hasn’t scored since netting in this H2H fixture last season. Meanwhile, Colin Kazim-Richards is in red-hot form, netting Derby’s winner in their last two fixtures – his only Championship goals of the season.
- Hot stat: No Championship side has received fewer yellow cards than Reading (33).