Match Preview: Algeria 0-0 Sierra Leone Prediction and Betting Tips | Africa Cup of Nations
Algeria – Sierra Leone Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 11, 2022
Football: AFRICA: Africa Cup of Nations – Round 1
Kick-off: 14:00 Senegal – Zimbabwe
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:0 WON!!!
Algeria – Sierra Leone Preview
- Algeria are bidding to follow in the footsteps of Egypt to become just the second team to win back-to-back Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournaments. Recent history suggests they should navigate the group stage easily enough given the fact they scored more goals than any other nation during qualifying (19), while it’s worth noting that the North African nation are also unbeaten in their last three AFCON openers (W2, D1).
- Djamel Belmadi’s men are one of the favourites for AFCON 2021 thanks to their exceptional current form (W24, D10 – 90 minutes), a run that means they could actually equal Italy’s international record of 37 games unbeaten (Oct 2018 – Sept 2021) if they can negotiate the group stage undefeated. With the ‘Fennec Foxes’ scoring first within 35 minutes in the five of their last six AFCON qualifiers games, fans should expect a bold bid to achieve that feat.
- Sierra Leone are set to make their third AFCON appearance and their first since 1996, but the achievement has been marred by coach John Keister receiving death threats before naming his team for the competition. Their qualification was a close call, as the ‘Leone Stars’ booked their ticket to the finals only thanks to a favourable goal difference over Benin.
- The 108th-FIFA ranked nation can look to history for inspiration, as they won their opening game during their last AFCON participation in 1996, although they lost 2-0 to Algeria in the following game. Scoring goals has been the most obvious problem recently for Sierra Leone, as they have failed to find the net in five of their previous seven internationals.
- Players to watch: Algeria’s Riyad Mahrez has scored the game’s opener within 30 minutes in three of his previous four internationals. Yet, the battle to score first could also involve Sierra Leone’s Kwame Quee, who has scored his nation’s opener in his last three goalscoring appearances.
- Hot stat: Just one of Algeria’s last eight AFCON games featured a goalless first half.