Tunisia – Mali Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 12, 2022
Football: AFRICA: Africa Cup of Nations – Round 1
Kick-off: 14:00 Tunisia – Mali
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:1 LOST
Tunisia – Mali Preview
- As the highest-ranked team in Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Group F, Tunisia are burdened by expectation, especially after winning a clear majority of their 17 games played since the beginning of 2021 (W12, D2, L3 – 90 mins). Yet, Tunisia have failed to progress beyond the quarter finals in seven of eight appearances made since winning the 2004 edition.
- Tunisia’s fourth-placed finish at the previous edition is a sign of movement in the right direction. That said, the Eagles of Carthage will need a stronger start than they’ve made in their last three AFCON-opening games (D2, L1), each of which produced under 2.5 goals.
- Considering that only three of Mali’s 28-man AFCON squad ply their trade for CAF-zone clubs, and many play across top leagues in Europe, this tournament represents a good opportunity for the ‘Eagles’ to finally soar. However, Mali have failed to win in nine of their last 11 AFCON group games (D7, L2), with draws seemingly killing their chances in past editions.
- For all of their prior frustrations in this competition, Mali will head into this clash in high spirits after a run of six straight shutouts (W5, D1). Curiously, that run began following a 1-0 friendly defeat to Tunisia back in June, after their opening-day opponents scored a 90th-minute goal.
- Players to watch: Tunisia captain and Saint-Étienne star Wahbi Khazri could feature heavily, given that he has five goal contributions in 16 AFCON finals appearances (G2, A3), of which three came during the group stages. Also prominent in the French top-flight (with Nantes) is Mali’s Kalifa Coulibaly, who has seen nine of his last ten goals at club level act as match openers.
- Hot stat: Five of Mali’s last six victories within 90 minutes have come after a half-time lead.