Ivory Coast – Algeria Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 20, 2022
Football: AFRICA: Africa Cup of Nations – Round 3
Kick-off: 17:00 Ivory Coast – Algeria
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 3:1 WON!!!
Ivory Coast – Algeria Match Preview
- It’s all to play for in Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Group E as all four nations can still progress to the knockout stages of the competition. In this clash, top-placed Ivory Coast (W1, D1) will entertain bottom-side Algeria (D1, L1) as two of the pre-tournament favourites head into this crucial clash in contrasting fortunes.
- As Ivory Coast remain unbeaten since 1992 in the H2H battles (W3, D4) they’ll begin this matchup in the more confident mood, even if a howler from goalkeeper Badra Ali Sangaré did cost them two valuable points last time out versus Sierra Leone (D2-2). With four points so far, a draw will also be enough for the ‘Elephants’, but they’ll still be aiming for better given their record of just one loss across their last 12 competitive internationals (W8, D3).
- Algeria are on the brink of suffering an embarrassing group stage exit if they can’t find a way to win in this deciding matchup. The 2019 champions have so far struggled across their opening two matchups, failing to net in either outing whilst losing 1-0 to Equatorial Guinea last time out.
- That loss was Algeria’s first since October 2019 whilst since November 2017, the ‘Fennec Foxes’ have lost just three times across 35 competitive outings (W22, D10). To taste victory again here, they’ll need to rediscover their shooting boots, the same ones that fired an average of 2.9 goals across their ten competitive internationals before this competition began!
- Players to watch: Max Gradel scored the winner on matchday one for Ivory Coast, whilst his nation have never lost a competitive international when he’s been on the scoresheet (G13 – W11, D2). Similarly, Algeria have only ever lost once when Yacine Brahimi has scored during a competitive outing (W10) – he also netted his nation’s last competitive goal.
- Hot stat: These two nations have accumulated a huge 35 corners between them so far across their four AFCON 2021 matches.