Match Preview: Guinea 0-1 Gambia Prediction and Betting Tips | Africa Cup of Nations
Guinea – Gambia Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 24, 2022
Football: AFRICA: Africa Cup of Nations – Play Offs – 1/8-finals
Kick-off: 17:00 Guinea – Gambia
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:1 LOST
Guinea – Gambia Match Preview
- Guinea are looking to go one better than their previous Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) finals appearance when they exited at the Round of 16 stage, but must bounce back from a surprise 2-1 defeat to Zimbabwe that saw them finish second in Group B. That was their fifth game in six to witness the team that opened the scoring go on to win, so they’ll be keen to strike first here.
- Doing so will need an improved performance against tournament debutants and surprise package Gambia, although Guinea have never lost an AFCON qualifying match against them (W4, D2). They’ll hope their prior experience of tournament football counts for something, even if they’ve lost each of their last three AFCON knockout matches ‘to nil’!
- Could Gambia extend that record to four? One goal in each group game was enough to see them into the knockout stages with an unbeaten record (W2, D1), and after keeping five clean sheets across their last seven full internationals against African opponents, frustrating Guinea’s early salvos could see them grow in confidence, making victory more likely.
- However, three of the four goals their group games produced came after the 75th minute and a tournament that’s often witnessed games coming to life later means late action can’t be ruled out. Much less likely is a repeat of the first ever H2H in 1972 when Guinea ran out 8-0 winners during an All-Africa Games qualifier – still Gambia’s record defeat!
- Players to watch: Naby Keïta scored a wonder strike for Guinea against Zimbabwe, his fifth consecutive international goal to open the scoring for his country. Gambia will hope Ablie Jallow can threaten again after netting both goals in their two 1-0 group stage victories – all three of his international efforts have opened the scoring.
- Hot stat: No team collected more yellow cards (eight) than Guinea during the group stages.