Senegal – Cape Verde Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 25, 2022
Football: AFRICA: Africa Cup of Nations – Play Offs – 1/8-finals
Kick-off: 17:00 Senegal – Cape Verde
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:0 WON!!!
Senegal – Cape Verde Match Preview
- While Senegal were pre-tournament favourites, the 2019 runners up have made it to the knockout stages of this edition mainly via their rock-solid defence. Illustrating that point is the fact that Senegal are yet to score from open play, and only scraped past Zimbabwe with a last gasp penalty. They then played out back-to-back goalless draws, so this has potential to be a long evening for both teams.
- The 2021 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) hasn’t produced a plethora of goals overall, though we can expect at least one here, as Senegal have never produced three consecutive goalless draws in their 62-year history. The onus will be on Senegal to provide that goal, just as they did when winning ‘to nil’ in each of the last four H2Hs.
- Any further progression would be a bonus for Cape Verde, who were eliminated in the first knockout round following their only prior AFCON group progression. A stalemate with host nation Cameroon will provide some much needed confidence, after only qualifying via third place, thanks to a narrow 1-0 win over ten-man Ethiopia on the opening day.
- Encouragingly for them, the ‘Sharks’ have lost just four of their 17 internationals played since the beginning of 2020 (W8, D5), and that run includes positive results against the likes of Nigeria and Cameroon. However, their only defeat by more than a single-goal margin during that run was against Senegal.
- Players to watch: Sadio Mané is Senegal’s only scorer at this tournament, and four of his last six goals at club level were also match openers. Meanwhile, Olympiacos and Cape Verde star Garry Rodrigues may have earned a start, after scoring within ten minutes of his introduction last time out. He’s contributed to both of their AFCON 2021 goals (G1, A1).
- Hot stat: Each of Senegal’s last five AFCON knockout matches have produced under 1.5 goals within 90 minutes.