Genoa – Empoli Prediction and Tips for today, Match 6, 2022
Football: ITALY: Serie A – Round 28
Kick-off: 12:30 Genoa – Empoli
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:0 WON!!!
Genoa – Empoli Match Preview
- Both sides are yet to win a Serie A (SA) match in 2022, but a win is more critical for Genoa, as they sit in the drop zone with their 15-season top-flight stay at stake. A goalless stalemate with champions Inter Milan last time around was encouraging, and Genoa’s strong record across the last four SA H2Hs (W3, D1) suggests a win could be around the corner.
- Genoa boss Alexander Blessin must get his side firing as the ‘Rossoblù’ have failed to score in seven of their last nine SA home games. Breaking that may take some time though, as six of Genoa’s last eight SA home goals have arrived beyond the 70th minute – as was the case with their last goal in the reverse fixture (2-2).
- After a 3-2 loss to Juventus last time out, Empoli are winless across ten SA games (D5, L5) and hopes of a first top-half finish in SA since 2006/07 are beginning to give way to concerns of a survival dogfight. Although mid-table, results need to improve, especially as Empoli are now on the cusp of losing three SA games in a row for the first time since December 2018 – a season that ended in relegation.
- The visitors also need to cure some travel sickness, having failed to win across their last five SA road trips (D4, L1) – a sharp fall of form after impressing in away league action prior (W5, D1, L2). Finding an early goal could be their ticket back to success, as Empoli are unbeaten when scoring first in away league games this season (W4, D2).
- Players to watch: Scoring Genoa’s first goal with his last five SA strikes, Mattia Destro could well be the hero that prevents the ‘Rossoblù’ from recording six consecutive SA stalemates for the first time since October 1992. If Empoli’s Nedim Bajrami gets on the scoresheet we could be in for a ride as four of his last five SA strikes have come in matches producing six goals!
- Hot stat: Only one of Genoa’s last 12 SA games has seen an odd number of goals.