Barnsley – Stoke Prediction and Tips for today, Match 8, 2022
Football: ENGLAND: Championship – Round 24
Kick-off: 20:45 Barnsley – Stoke
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
Barnsley – Stoke Match Preview
- After a weekend defeat at Derby left them six points adrift of 21st-placed Reading, Barnsley know this is a must-win game in their bid to avoid the drop. Home comforts could prove vital for this game in-hand, after two successive victories at Oakwell, though any win is unlikely to be comfortable, given that the Tykes’ last home win by two or more goals came last April.
- In fact, Barnsley’s previous seven competitive home outings have ended level or were settled by a single-goal margin, and the potential for suspense is further underlined when we see that their last home victory to see a first-half decider dates back to August.
- While they aren’t on the relegation radar, Stoke City cannot help but look over their shoulder after a home defeat to Blackpool at the weekend made it four straight losses. An 86th-minute strike decided that game and late goals have been “a pattern that’s repeating itself far too often” in the words of Stoke boss Michael O’Neill, with each of their last four losses now seeing the opposition’s final goal arrive after the 80th minute.
- Stoke have actually kept first-half clean sheets in each of their last four (HT: W1, D3), highlighting their second-half woes. The Potters’ current five-game drought without an away win is another area of concern, with poor second halves again a major factor. On a brighter note however, they’ve failed to score in just two of their last 13 Championship away games.
- Players to watch: Amine Bassi contributed to all three goals in Barnsley’s last home win (G2, A1), while Stoke veteran Steven Fletcher awaits his first goal since early November. That was an opener, as was his only prior goal at Oakwell – way back in September 2009!
- Hot stat: Barnsley have lost at home to Stoke just once since 1986 (W9, D2), hitting at least two goals against them in ten straight matches at Oakwell!