Union Berlin – FC Koln Prediction and Tips for today, April 1, 2022
Football: GERMANY: BUNDESLIGA – ROUND 28
Kick-off: 19:30 Union Berlin – FC Koln
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Union Berlin – FC Koln Preview
- Union Berlin have struggled since the departure of striker Max Kruse in late January and though midfielder Rani Khedira stated at the time that ‘nothing would change’, a lot actually has. After occupying a Champions League spot after 20 matchdays (W9, D7, L4) by prioritising the league over their Europa Conference League campaign, they’ve subsequently lost five of their seven league games since Kruse left, all of which came to ‘to nil’ (W1, D1, L5), and are now in serious danger of failing to claim any European place after slipping into mid-table.
- In order to get back into the European mix, Union need to rediscover some form quickly and a return to the Alte Försterei could help, where they’ve collected 25 of their 38 Bundesliga points this season with their only two losses coming against the division’s top two. They’ll be further boosted here by an unbeaten H2H record (W4, D1) against Cologne in Bundesliga action (at any venue), with each game seeing them score twice.
- Just one defeat in their last five (W2, D2, L1), including collecting four points against the sides placed second and third, has sent Cologne above Union in the Bundesliga table (W2, D2, L1), and in a better position to claim a European place than their hosts. A sound defence has been behind that recent five-game run, with the ‘Billy Goats’ conceding just three goals and recording two 1-0 wins.
- Improved away form has helped in their pursuit of a first appearance in European competition since 2017/18, with each of their three road wins this Bundesliga season coming across their last six trips (W3, D2, L1). Despite their recent defensive prowess, their 1-0 win at Bayer Leverkusen on their last awayday was their first clean sheet on their league travels this season, a feat they’ll now look to achieve for the first-time ever against Union in the top tier.
- Players to watch: Taiwo Awoniyi is the only Union player currently in the squad to have scored twice in their last seven league games, and his team are yet to lose when he’s scored in Bundesliga action this season (W6, D4). Along the same lines, Anthony Modeste has netted 15 league goals, with Cologne losing just once when he’s got on the scoresheet (W6, D5, L1).
- Hot stat: Union have won their last three league games on a Friday, while Cologne have lost their last three league games on this day.