Fiorentina – Empoli Prediction and Tips for today, April 3, 2022
Football: ITALY: SERIE A – ROUND 31
Kick-off: 11:30 Fiorentina – Empoli
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Fiorentina – Empoli Preview
- Fresh from unveiling their new logo, top-six contenders Fiorentina approach the second Derby dell’Arno of this Serie A (SA) season with a sense of optimism. A recent 1-1 San Siro draw against Inter Milan kept their hopes of European qualification via the league alive, with that result making it just one loss for Fiorentina across their previous six SA matches (W3, D2).
- La Viola’s draw against the defending champions certainly pleased coach Vincenzo Italiano, who claimed that his side are ‘laying the foundations for the future’. Many strong teams have begun with stability at the back – and that characteristic is in evidence here, with Fiorentina keeping a clean sheet in each of their last four league victories at the Artemio Franchi.
- This rivalry dates back to 1986, and what will be the 28th all-time meeting marks a unique chance for Empoli (W6, D7, L14) to notch a first H2H league double. Two very late strikes settled the reverse H2H in their favour, and Empoli won’t be underestimated even on hostile turf, having won three of their seven away league matches against current top-half sides (D1, L3).
- Empoli are without a win in 13 SA games overall though, marking their worst streak in a single season since a run of 15 back in 1998/99. Their task is made harder still by the suspension of Italy U21 defender Fabiano Parisi, who’s absence of three SA games earlier this year coincided with Empoli taking just a single point and conceding ten goals!
- Players to watch: Fiorentina’s Lucas Torreira has netted in two consecutive SA matches, and each of his four prior league goals this term have come in the second half. As for the visitors, Andrea Pinamonti has scored five of his last six SA goals after the break, including the late winner in the reverse clash.
- Hot stat: Fiorentina have scored 42% of their league goals in the opening 30 minutes of the second half.