RB Leipzig – Atalanta Prediction and Tips for today, April 7, 2022
Football: EUROPA LEAGUE – PLAY OFFS – QUARTER-FINALS
Kick-off: 17:45 RB Leipzig – Atalanta
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
RB Leipzig – Atalanta Preview
- RB Leipzig progressed to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Europa League (UEL) via a walkover and have now been drawn alongside another team that finished third in the group stage of the Champions League (UCL), Atalanta. It’ll be a special tie for Italian-born Leipzig manager Domenico Tedesco, whose surname ironically means “German” in Italian, as up to this point he had never previously progressed to the final eight of any UEFA tournament, but after seeing his side impressively beat Dortmund away 4-1 at the weekend, he’ll likely believe his side can progress further.
- Their only previous UEL tie against Italian opposition (Napoli in 2017/18) saw them lose 2-0 at home, and after winning just one of their last five UEFA home outings (W1, D2, L2), they are not assured of earning an early advantage here. To add to the uncertainty, Leipzig’s two domestic home fixtures since their last UEFA engagement were Bundesliga draws against Freiburg (1-1) and Frankfurt (0-0).
- Atalanta progressed as the only club to win both of their UEL Round of 16 legs (3-2 at home and 1-0 away vs Leverkusen), and alongside Leipzig and Barcelona are one of the three top favourites to be crowned UEL champions. Considering their previous opponents Leverkusen sit above Leipzig in the Bundesliga table at the start of this leg, Atalanta have every reason to be confident of advancing to what would be their first semi-final in any UEFA tournament since 1987/88.
- The Italian side are undefeated in their last three UEFA away trips (W2, D1) but demonstrated some vulnerabilities of their own in the lead-up to this clash via a 3-1 league loss to Napoli. Yet beyond that, their domestic form should reassure them of their chances to take an advantage from this leg, as Atalanta have lost just one of their last five starts as underdogs in all competitions (W1, D3, L1).
- Players to watch: Leipzig’s Christopher Nkunku has scored in four of his six domestic games since his last UEFA appearance, whilst midfielder Ruslan Malinovskyi is the only Atalanta player to score in two of their last eight competitive matches.
- Hot stat: Just two of Atalanta’s last nine competitive fixtures saw both teams score.