Bayern Munich – Villarreal Prediction and Tips for today, April 12, 2022
Football: CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – PLAY OFFS – QUARTER-FINALS
Kick-off: 20:00 Bayern Munich – Villarreal
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 LOST
Bayern Munich – Villarreal Preview
- Bayern Munich left it very late at the weekend as they stumbled past Bundesliga strugglers Augsburg at home 1-0 thanks to an 82nd minute penalty. Although it’s the result that ultimately matters, their performance won’t have come as ideal preparation for this huge UEFA Champions League (UCL) quarter-final second-leg clash with Villarreal, especially as the German side enter this game 1-0 down on aggregate after a poor display in the first-leg on Spanish soil last midweek.
- The Bavarian giants will have to turn this tie on its head if they’re to avoid successive UCL quarter-final exits after their defeat to PSG last season. That said, Bayern have progressed past the UCL quarter-final stage eight times across their last ten attempts, whilst they’ve now won 12 of their previous 13 home outings in this competition (L1), hitting three or more goals in each of their four UCL games at the Allianz Arena this campaign.
- Villarreal boss Unai Emery surprisingly rested his entire starting XI from the first-leg of this UCL tie at the weekend, a decision that played a part in his side extending their winless La Liga run to three matches following a 1-1 draw with Athletic Bilbao (D1, L2). He’ll hope his decision will be rewarded with progression here, though as a manager, he’s never previously advanced past this stage of the competition!
- There’s still plenty of good omens for Villarreal ahead of this clash, not least the fact that their clean sheet in the first-leg halted Bayern finding the scoresheet for the first time in 30 UCL matches. Nonetheless, Emery’s side will have to be at their best again as they’ve now kept just two clean sheets across their prior 12 away competitive matches.
- Players to watch: Bayern’s Robert Lewandowski has remarkably notched 46 competitive goals this campaign, with six of his eight home UCL strikes coming before the 30th minute. Meanwhile, Villarreal’s Arnaut Danjuma has been involved in 47% of his side’s UCL goals this campaign (G6, A2), and scored the winner in the first-leg.
- Hot stat: Bayern have scored ten first-half goals across their four home UCL matches this season.