Cagliari – Sassuolo Prediction and Tips for today, April 16, 2022
Football: ITALY: SERIE A – ROUND 33
Kick-off: 11:30 Cagliari – Sassuolo
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Cagliari – Sassuolo Preview
- Cagliari began the week three points above the Serie A (SA) drop zone, but they know that stunting their now five-game run of defeats will be paramount if they’re to secure a seventh straight top-flight season. Yet, while it is scant consolation in the context of a vicious relegation battle, there were early signs of encouragement in last weekend’s 2-1 home loss to Juventus.
- A tenth-minute lead in that game ultimately proved to be a false dawn, but the Islanders’ coach Walter Mazzarri saw enough to claim his side “deserved a point”. What teams deserve they don’t always get though, and that loss marked the return of an unwelcome habit, with Cagliari conceding the second goal overall in each of the previous six games to see them net first.
- Mid-table Sassuolo have only a remote hope of breaking into the top-six, but they will pose a threat, having fuelled their confidence by beating a highly-respected Atalanta side 2-1 last Sunday. Here, the ‘Neroverdi’ aim to complete successive wins for the first time since March 6.
- So far, 2022 has seen Sassuolo triumph 2-0 away to champions Inter, while also dropping two points against doomed whipping boys Salernitana – but for all their unpredictability on the road, there is no shot-shyness. Ever eager to attack, Alessio Dionisi’s men have netted in 22 of their previous 23 competitive away matches, a rich return spanning back to March 2021.
- Players to watch: João Pedro was Cagliari’s opening scorer against Juventus, meaning that his last three strikes have put his side 1-0 up. In opposition, Sassuolo midfielder Hamed Junior Traorè hit a double against Atalanta last weekend, meaning that three of his last four goalscoring matches for the ‘Neroverdi’ have ended 2-1 to the home side on the day!
- Hot stat: Cagliari are the only side yet to score at home in SA action between the 31st minute and half-time.