Manchester Utd – Chelsea Prediction and Tips for today, April 28, 2022
Football: ENGLAND: PREMIER LEAGUE – ROUND 37
Kick-off: 19:45 Manchester Utd – Chelsea
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
Manchester Utd – Chelsea Preview
- Having committed to a two-year consultancy role with the club, departing Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick will be keen to avenge the four consecutive away league losses United have recently strung together – a first such run since 1980/81 – with a welcome return to Old Trafford, where United are unbeaten in seven PL outings (W4, D3). Yet, after publicly conceding that the top four is now “not realistic”, it remains to be seen if Rangnick’s side can sustain the energy and motivation they’ve had at Old Trafford recently as third-placed Chelsea visit Manchester.
- Despite a 3-1 weekend defeat against Arsenal at the Emirates, there were some positive signs from United’s big-hitters, as goalscorer Cristiano Ronaldo won a tackle for the first time since February in a PL match and Jadon Sancho recovered possession on ten occasions, his best PL return yet. Those defensive efforts were ultimately in vain as United’s backline remains their biggest problem, highlighted by their average of three goals conceded per PL game when playing against the current top-four sides.
- After a crucial last-gasp home winner from Christian Pulisic against West Ham (1-0), third-placed Chelsea could open up an eight-point gap to Arsenal in fourth with their first PL win at Old Trafford in nearly a decade (D5, L3). Chelsea appear well placed to topple that record, with four straight PL away wins by an aggregate score of 14-1 proving that their many off-field challenges aren’t heavily impacting performances.
- Despite having a more hectic fixture schedule than most of their top-four rivals, the ‘Blues’ have now won seven of their last nine PL outings (L2), including six ‘to nil’. Having also picked up a joint-PL high nine away clean sheets, it’s little surprise only Manchester City (39) have collected more PL away points than Chelsea’s 36 this season, justifying why the ‘Blues’ carry the favourites tag here. That’s a title that hasn’t fazed Thomas Tuchel’s side this term as they possess one of the PL’s best win rates as a travelling favourite after winning an impressive 79% of the away games they’ve started as the bookmakers’ pick (W11, D2, L1).
- Players to watch: Expect an early impact from United legend Ronaldo, who has seen six of his nine PL goals since Christmas arrive in the first 40 minutes, whilst Chelsea’s Kai Havertz has scored after the half-hour mark in their last three PL away fixtures.