Spezia – Atalanta Prediction and Tips for today, May 8, 2022
Football: ITALY: SERIE A – ROUND 36
Kick-off: 11:30 Spezia – Atalanta
Tip: Away Win
Match Result: 1:3 WON!!!
Spezia – Atalanta Preview
- A seven-goal thriller against European hopefuls Lazio saw Spezia surrender the lead three times before finally falling to a 4-3 defeat, a result which means that Thiago Motta’s men still have to wait to officially confirm a third straight Serie A (SA) campaign next season. Now on a run of three straight defeats, and with all three remaining matches against sides above them, Spezia will be grateful for their good form around the turn of the year that saw them win four times in five games, a run in hindsight that will probably save them.
- Top-seven chasers Atalanta now come to town and offer Spezia another chance to secure a victory against a current top-nine side, after losing all seven prior home SA matches this season against such teams. A return to reliable defensive performances will be crucial as Spezia have conceded seven times across their last two home outings after consecutive wins ’to nil’, and their goalless draw here last season against the Bergamo side will give them some belief they can do just that.
- “We don’t have the same intensity and spirit as earlier”, said coach Gian Piero Gasperini after his Atalanta side barely managed a draw against relegation-fighting Salernitana on Monday (1-1), making it just one win in eight competitive games (D3, L4). Their downturn in form is also highlighted by the fact they had more points at this stage in each of the last five seasons.
- There was a time during the first half of the season when Atalanta were the best away team in the league and fighting hard for a Champions League place, but their weak performances since the turn of the year changed all that. Their recent 3-1 victory at Venezia did continue a trend of collecting more points away than at home (36 vs 20) and confirmed that the Bergamaschi especially enjoy playing teams in the lower reaches of the division, as they’ve won nine of 11 away league trips to sides currently below them.
- Players to watch: Kevin Agudelo has scored each of his three SA goals for Spezia this term against current top-eight teams, including a first-half strike last time out. In opposition, Mario Pašalić has found the net in three consecutive matches, twice beyond the 75th minute.
- Hot stat: Spezia have lost each of their last six matches to see both teams score.