Sampdoria – Fiorentina Prediction and Tips for today, May 16, 2022
Football: ITALY: SERIE A – ROUND 37
Kick-off: 17:30 Sampdoria – Fiorentina
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 4:1 LOST
Sampdoria – Fiorentina Preview
- Despite a 2-0 loss at Lazio last round, the decision of the Sampdoria board to go ‘back to the future’ through the hiring of former manager Marco Giampaolo will be hailed a success if they can hold on and avoid a repeat of their humiliating Serie A (SA) relegation in 2010/11, which also happened to be a year to forget for Giampaolo personally as he was sacked after just ten games in charge of Cesena! However, Sampdoria will have the advantage of going into this Monday evening fixture knowing whether points are even required to secure their safety and another SA campaign.
- It would be a difficult case to argue that Sampdoria have turned around under Giampaolo, having averaged 0.93 points per SA game this season under his stewardship compared with 0.91 for previous boss Roberto D’Aversa. However he could point to three home wins ‘to nil’ (compared with zero prior to his arrival), the third of which was added in their last home outing (1-0 vs Genoa), as inspiration for his troops to finish their home season on a high.
- Unfortunately for ‘La Samp’, their two remaining games are against clubs with immense incentives of their own. Visiting Fiorentina will be full of belief after securing their first league defeat of Roma since 2017/18, which saw them start the round in a three-way tie for sixth. Now just one goal could be the difference between a Europa League group stage and no continental action next season!
- On the close of his first campaign in charge, visiting boss Vincenzo Italiano has likely secured himself a prosperous future, which could be capped off with Fiorentina’s largest points haul in eight seasons. This is despite ‘I Viola’ lamenting one of SA’s poorest records as a travelling favourite, losing 45% of their 11 such matches (W4, D2, L5) compared with an average of just 16% for all other clubs going into the weekend.
- Players to watch: Midfielder Abdelhamid Sabiri is the only player to have scored in two of Sampdoria’s last four SA home fixtures, whilst Nicolás González has opened the scoring in three of Fiorentina’s last four SA wins anywhere.
- Hot stat: All six of Fiorentina’s away wins this SA season have been by a one-goal margin.