Match Preview: Southampton 1-2 Liverpool Prediction and Betting Tips | PREMIER LEAGUE
Southampton – Liverpool Prediction and Tips for today, May 17, 2022
Football: ENGLAND: PREMIER LEAGUE – ROUND 37
Kick-off: 19:45 Southampton – Liverpool
Tip: Away Win
Match Result: 1:2 WON!!!
Southampton – Liverpool Preview
- A struggling Southampton need a solitary point from their last two games to retain their Premier League (PL) status for next season, however their recent form suggests they will do well to get a result against quadruple-chasing Liverpool, as they have lost seven of their last ten PL matches (W1, D2), and now face a fifth consecutive bottom-half finish.
- The one win they managed during that time did come at St. Mary’s though, with that 1-0 triumph over Arsenal the only game from Southampton’s last seven at home that failed to see over 2.5 goals scored. This was also the scoreline when the ‘Saints’ shocked visitors Liverpool when winning in this fixture last season, although that was the only occasion across the last nine H2Hs they’ve managed to avoid defeat.
- It’s now two trophies down, two to go for Liverpool, who claimed the FA Cup at the weekend after beating Chelsea in a cup final penalty shootout for the second time this year! There’s no time to celebrate though, as manager Jürgen Klopp will already have his mind fixed back on their PL title push after league leaders Manchester City dropped points less than 24 hours later, but Liverpool may have to push on without top scorer Mohamed Salah who came off injured vs Chelsea.
- A win here would put Liverpool one point behind City and set the season up for a thrilling final day and continue the ‘Reds’ superb year, having claimed 26 wins from their 32 matches in 2022 (D5, L1), after scoring 2+ goals in 23 of those games. Away from home, Liverpool’s successes have often been accompanied with a strong start as they’ve only dropped two points when scoring first, which they’ve done in 12 of their 18 PL away matches this campaign.
- Players to watch: Saints captain James Ward-Prowse has scored his side’s opener in six of his nine goalscoring outings this season, while Luis Díaz continues to thrive in England, netting four of his six Liverpool goals after half-time.
- Hot stat: Liverpool have won seven of the eight PL games they’ve played on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday this season (L1).