Hertha Berlin – Hamburger SV Prediction and Tips for today, May 19, 2022
Football: GERMANY: BUNDESLIGA – RELEGATION – FINAL
Kick-off: 19:30 Hertha Berlin – Hamburger SV
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 0:1 LOST
Hertha Berlin – Hamburger SV Preview
- Hertha Berlin were minutes away from avoiding this tie before Stuttgart’s injury-time winner against Cologne confirmed their first Bundesliga relegation play-off appearance since 2011/12. Hertha have history on their side though, as only once in the last nine play-off ties has the side finishing 16th in the Bundesliga lost and therefore been relegated.
- Whilst they’ve beaten Hamburg more times than any other club (W35, D13, L34), the overall H2H record is almost even. Hertha have won the last five home H2Hs though, four of them ‘to nil’, which might explain why manager Felix Magath claimed he is “looking forward” to the play-off against the side with which he began his coaching career! It’s easy to envisage more late drama as there was exactly one goal after the 80th minute in each of Hertha’s last three home games (W1, L2).
- Looking to return to the top flight after a four-year absence, Hamburg also endured a frantic finish to their league campaign as they conceded in injury time against Hansa Rostock before holding on to win 3-2 and claim third place in the Bundesliga 2 (BL2). That extended a five-match winning run in the league which should help them travel with some confidence, particularly knowing they’ll get to host the second leg.
- They’ve won their last three league away games, scoring 3+ goals on each occasion, and increasing the possibility of late action is the fact they scored at least once after the 80th minute in each of those fixtures. Any goal, whenever it comes, could be vital, particularly given their poor recent record here and that only one of the last nine relegation play-off first legs were won by the away side on the day.
- Players to watch: Both of Lucas Tousart’s goals for Hertha this term came between the 50th and 75th minute while Hamburg’s Robert Glatzel bagged second-half goals in three of their last five league away matches.
- Hot stat: Hamburg scored a league-high 21 BL2 goals after the 75th minute this term.