Watford – Sheffield Utd Prediction and Tips for today, August 1, 2022
Football: ENGLAND: CHAMPIONSHIP – ROUND 1
Kick-off: 20:00 Watford – Sheffield Utd
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Watford – Sheffield Utd Match Preview
- After suffering relegation last term, Watford have gone for a change of tack with the appointment of Rob Edwards, the man who led Forest Green Rovers to promotion from League Two in 2021/22. Edwards is now the Hornets’ 19th appointment across the last decade, so starting strong is likely a must if he is to remain beyond Christmas.
- The previous two managers were both at least 70 years of age, so we may see a fresh approach from the 39-year-old boss. A host of stars have left the club and with speculation around 2021/22 top scorer Emmanuel Dennis refusing to die down, the onus for goals may fall to Watford’s £5m+ new boy Vakoun Issouf Bayo, who bagged 11 times in the Belgian Pro League last season.
- While Sheffield United did well to achieve a top-six finish after sitting in 16th when current boss Paul Heckingbottom was appointed, it was a disappointing end to the season as their promotion hopes were dashed by eventual play-off winners Nottingham Forest. Hoping for better this time around, summer signing Reda Khadra has already stated his intent to open his Blades account in this very game.
- Playing against a freshly relegated side is often a daunting task in this division, but with a return of nine points from a possible 12 in four clashes against relegated opponents last term (W3, L1), Sheffield United may be confident of a strong start. However to continue building on that record, the Blades must improve on their return of one win across the last eight season openers (D1, L6).
- Players to watch: A single strike may not be enough for Watford’s Bayo, each of his last four scoring appearances saw him net a brace. As for Sheffield United, Khadra looks to build upon his seven Championship goal contributions for Blackburn last term (G4, A3) but just one of those goals came away from home.
- Hot stat: Watford are unbeaten in 14 of their last 15 season opening league games (W8, D6).