West Brom – Watford Prediction and Tips for today, August 8, 2022
Football: ENGLAND: CHAMPIONSHIP – ROUND 2
Kick-off: 20:00 West Brom – Watford
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:1 WON!!!
West Brom – Watford Match Preview
- West Brom manager Steve Bruce referred to his side’s “Jekyll and Hyde” character after two contrasting halves in their Championship opener at Middlesbrough last weekend (1-1). The Baggies boss will be hoping for a little more consistency and dependability if his men are to trouble the play-off places this term, following a discouraging tenth place finish last season.
- They return to the Hawthorns on Monday night, where Bruce has overseen just two league defeats since his appointment in early February (W4, D3). In fact, West Brom won all six of their home games in 2021/22 when leading at half-time – a feat only Sheffield United were able to replicate last campaign – so if Bruce is to continue leading his side to good results here, getting a foothold in the first half may be a priority.
- Baggies’ fans will therefore be eager for a fast start against recently relegated Watford, who began life back in the Championship with a promising 1-0 victory at home to Sheffield United. The Hornets have been somewhat unspectacular in terms of notable summer additions, but new manager Rob Edwards will marvel at the fact none of his formidable front three of Ismaïla Sarr, João Pedro and Emmanuel Dennis have left the club.
- Watford will need to overturn a bleak recent away record if they are to make it six points from six though – they won just twice in their concluding 14 league games on the road last season (D3, L9). They will, however, take confidence from a dominant H2H record against the Baggies – losing only once across these sides’ previous seven encounters (W3, D3) – so there is cause for optimism for Edwards in what should be a closely-fought contest.
- Players to watch: West Brom were victorious in 12 of the 15 league games in which Karlan Grant found the back of the net last season, with 11 of his 18 goals coming at the Hawthorns. Meanwhile, pacey attacker Ismaïla Sarr netted a career-high 13 goals last time he and Watford were in the Championship.
- Hot stat: Of the league goals scored at the Hawthorns last season, 67% came in the second half.