Freiburg – Dortmund Prediction and Tips for today, August 12, 2022
Football: GERMANY: BUNDESLIGA – ROUND 2
Kick-off: 19:30 Freiburg – Dortmund
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:3 WON!!!
Freiburg – Dortmund Match Preview
- A 4-0 win over Augsburg on matchday one showed Freiburg mean business, as they not only produced their joint-best winning start to a new Bundesliga season, but also secured the second-highest victory of the weekend. Now starting this round in a lofty second place, manager Christian Streich will know his side’s feet must stay firmly planted on the ground, especially as throughout Bundesliga history teams sitting in second place after the first matchday have been relegated more times (seven) than crowned champions (six)!
- Freiburg actually met Borussia Dortmund at home on matchday two last season, and ended up pulling off a 2-1 win – their second 2-1 H2H home win in a row. Although Streich’s side are not expected to replicate that feat for a third time, Freiburg have impressively avoided defeat in their second game for three seasons running (W2, D1).
- Despite the absence of departed Erling Haaland, Dortmund won 1-0 at home against Leverkusen on matchday one, in what was their eighth consecutive season to begin with a win, a feat rivals Bayern have never achieved. It was also the eighth consecutive league win for Edin Terzić as head coach, who remarked that it was a dream come true being able to watch a side under his command play at a sold-out Westfalenstadion for the first time.
- The next task for Dortmund is to play away from home on matchday two for the fifth time in a row, and try and pull off a win after failing to do so in three of the previous four seasons (W1, D1, L2). Although at least a nine-game scoring run in H2Hs indicates they should trouble the home side here.
- Players to watch: Vincenzo Grifo scored on matchday one, and in this matchup last season too. Freiburg are now unbeaten in his last 21 goalscoring league games (W14, D7). Marco Reus scored the sole goal against Leverkusen – 44 of his 109 league goals for Dortmund have been match openers, like two of his three H2H goals.
- Hot stat: Keep an eye on set pieces in this game. These sides were the highest scorers from set pieces last Bundesliga season, with Freiburg netting 24 such goals and Dortmund scoring 22 .