Aston Villa – Everton Prediction and Tips for today, August 13, 2022
Football: ENGLAND: PREMIER LEAGUE – ROUND 2
Kick-off: 12:30 Aston Villa – Everton
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 2:1 WON!!!
Aston Villa – Everton Match Preview
- After conceding two set-piece goals, Aston Villa manager Steven Gerrard said his side “had themselves to blame” following their 2-0 defeat at Bournemouth on the opening weekend of the new Premier League (PL) season. That result meant his team have now managed to win just two of their previous 12 PL matches, a worrying trend that’s starting to put the former Liverpool star under mounting scrutiny.
- Oh how he’d enjoy a win over the old enemy Everton this weekend to alleviate some of that pressure, a team Villa first met back in 1888. Going into this clash, he should take comfort from Villa’s strong recent H2H record against their Merseyside visitors, avoiding defeat in the last six H2H PL clashes (W4, D2). The last three meetings in that run all saw Villa secure a clean sheet, which is something they also achieved in each of their last two first PL home games of the season (W2).
- In the run up to their 1-0 home defeat to Chelsea, Everton were rocked by the news that striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin was set to be sidelined for an extended period. Injury issues for manager Frank Lampard were only enhanced in last Saturday’s spirited defeat as centre-backs Ben Godfrey and Yerry Mina both picked up potential long-term injuries too. The Toffees have at least responded by bringing in former Wolves defender Conor Coady to help shore up the defence in their absence, as well as Amadou Onana in central midfield.
- Everton had some of the worst away form in the PL last season (W2, D4, L13) and haven’t enjoyed recent clashes with Villa either, yet they do have a good record of starting the season well on the road. They’re actually undefeated in each of their last 11 opening away games of the campaign (W5, D6).
- Players to watch: Villa forward Danny Ings loves playing Everton, and his six strikes against them is the joint-highest number of goals he’s scored against one single opponent. Demarai Gray, who is one of the candidates to lead the Everton frontline, had one run of scoring in three straight PL matches last season, with the first coming in the Toffees’ opening away game of that campaign.
- Hot stat: Although this is the first managerial meeting between the two, no player featured against (34), or beat, Gerrard more often than Lampard (16) during their playing careers.