Match Preview: AEK Larnaca – Rennes Prediction and Betting Tips | EUROPA LEAGUE
AEK Larnaca – Rennes Prediction and Tips for today
AEK Larnaca – Rennes Prediction and Tips for today, September 8, 2022
Football: EUROPA LEAGUE – GROUP STAGE – ROUND 1
Kick-off: 17:45 AEK Larnaca – Rennes
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:2 WON!!!
AEK Larnaca – Rennes Prediction and Match Preview
- Cypriot First Division runners up AEK Larnaca fell short at their first UEFA Champions League (UCL) qualifying hurdle, but rallied to negotiate two UEFA Europa League (UEL) qualifiers (W3, D1), giving them just their third UEL group stage appearance. Still, there are fears that reality could bite very soon, as both prior occasions have resulted in elimination.
- But times have changed, with third place in a UEL group now providing a UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL) transfer, meaning Larnaca may feel inclined to focus on more than just keeping out last season’s second-highest Ligue 1 scorers Rennes. Domestic form in the lead up to this game hasn’t been great however (D1, L1), but good home wins in this competition against Dnipro-1 and a tough Partizan side means that it wouldn’t surprise if they outperformed their odds.
- In addition to netting a century-best 82 Ligue 1 goals during 2021/22, Rennes won their UECL group and scored in every game before bowing out in the Round of 16. Yet, Bruno Genesio’s men come into this one after a modest start in the league (W2, D2, L2), which only adds to the pressure as they try to better the disastrous four-point haul taken three years ago, in their last UEL group stage appearance.
- A trip of more than 4,000 km to the AEK Arena could also have its tiring effects, making it all the more important for Rennes to take the driving seat early. However, they haven’t done this on their domestic travels of late, with none of the Rouge et Noir’s previous seven Ligue 1 road trips (W1, D3, L3) seeing them net inside 30 minutes.
- Key battle: Nikos Englezou rounded off the scoring in Larnaca’s second-leg win over Dnipro-1 during the playoff round. Although a marauding winger, he could be primarily tasked with subduing Benjamin Bourigeaud, who has seen his last ten strikes arrive before half-time, with that streak including Rennes’ most recent European goal.
- Hot streak: A team has led 1-0 at the 25th-minute mark in each of Larnaca’s four prior UEL games this term.