Heerenveen – Groningen Prediction Prediction and Tips for today
Best soccer tips for today EREDIVISIE: Heerenveen – Groningen Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 22, 2023.
Football: NETHERLANDS: EREDIVISIE – ROUND 17
Kick-off: 12:15 Heerenveen – Groningen
Tip: Under 3.5 Goals
Match Result: 3:1 LOST
Heerenveen – Groningen Prediction and Preview
- Barring a draw, this northern derby will see one side emerge from the battle with their first league victory of the 2023 calendar year. But it is home side SC Heerenveen who are in a far better position than their neighbouring province Groningen, still in contention for the all-important top six and with at least five points in hand (at the start of the round) on the rest of the competition beneath them. That includes northern rivals Groningen (12 points), FC Emmen (12) and SC Cambuur (nine) who are all fighting for survival in the bottom half of the standings.
- This will be the final act of a trilogy of home games that most recently saw them lose 0-2 to AZ Alkmaar after eliminating the struggling Volendam from the KNVB Cup (2-0). Heerenveen remain undefeated against those ten clubs beneath them on the table (W4, D4) and thus have every reason to be confident of maintaining the gap with three points here. Their most recent transfer acquisition, Ché Nunnely, will not be available to play this weekend.
- More unwanted history could be made by Groningen as they progress through what is by far their worst Eredivisie season of the last decade, and few could have entertained the thought of their 20+ year period in the Eredivisie coming to an end four months ago. Alas, they’re now six competitive outings without a victory (D1, L5) since what appeared a breakthrough 4-2 win over PSV Eindhoven, but they have instead sunk to new depths that also saw them eliminated from the KNVB Cup at home to third tier club Spakenburg.
- There are plenty of reinforcements coming through in the hope that they can turn their fortunes around with a refreshed squad. Although Neraysho Kasanwirjo and Cyril Ngonge left for Feyenoord and Hellas Verona respectively, their shopping has brought in the trio of Johan Hove (Strömgodset) and mercenaries Aimar Sher (Spezia) and Mads Bech Sorensen (Brentford). All three will be immediately available for new manager Dennis van der Ree, who is yet to see his side score an Eredivisie goal on his watch (L2).
- Players to watch: For the home side, it was Sydney van Hooijdonk who played a major role in the 3-1 win over FC Groningen last season with two goals. This season he has been involved in seven of his club’s sixteen goals (G6, A1). New Groningen centre-back Mads Bech Sorensen may have to be the one to stop him. During his last four appearances in the Premier League for Brentford, he remained undefeated against Leicester, Manchester United, Everton and Liverpool!
- Hot streak: Groningen have not won any of their last six visits to Heerenveen (D5, L1).