Mainz – Dortmund Prediction Prediction and Tips for today
Best soccer tips for today BUNDESLIGA: Mainz – Dortmund Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, January 25, 2023.
Football: GERMANY: BUNDESLIGA – ROUND 17
Kick-off: 18:30 Mainz – Dortmund
Tip: Over 2.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:2 WON!!!
Mainz – Dortmund Prediction and Preview
- Having begun 2023 as they ended 2022, with a 1-1 draw (vs Stuttgart) on Saturday, Mainz 05 are currently winless in five and marooned in mid-table. As such, their chances of a first European spot finish in seven years already look slim, especially as a loss for the 05ers here would see them fall 11 points behind their sixth placed visitors Borussia Dortmund.
- Given that Mainz have finished below the Black and Yellows in every previous season that they’ve shared a league this century, there should be no shortage of motivation for them to take at least a point. But a mediocre home league return since the start of May 2022 (W1, D5, L2) bodes poorly, especially with half-time leads given up in the last two of those draws.
- Dortmund continued to adjust to life in the ‘post-Haaland’ era on Sunday, vanquishing Augsburg in a 4-3 thriller to arrest a two-game losing slump, subsequently keeping them in the hunt for a Champions League place. In turn, the visitors travel as favourites to a ground that has been a lucky charm of late, given that they boast five straight wins at the MEWA Arena, with their latest loss here coming way back in September 2014.
- For all the optimism surrounding Dortmund, concerns have been raised over the three equalisers they conceded to Augsburg – especially with no Dortmund player yet on the double-figure Bundesliga goal tallies Erling Haaland had posted by January in each of the previous two seasons. However, Edin Terzić’s men are in the habit of starting with intent, scoring inside the first 20 minutes in four of their last six games.
- Players to watch: Mainz’s Marcus Ingvartsen snatched a point from the spot at Stuttgart on Saturday, making it 13 successes from 14 penalty attempts in his career. But he pales in the bravery stakes compared to Dortmund striker Sébastien Haller, whose cameo against Augsburg marked his first appearance following cancer treatment. He now seeks his first Bundesliga away goal since May 2019.
- Hot streak: Dortmund have kept a first-half clean sheet in each of their last nine visits to Mainz.