Blackburn – Blackpool Prediction Prediction and Tips for today
Best soccer tips for today CHAMPIONSHIP: Blackburn – Blackpool Prediction Prediction and Tips for today, February 21, 2023.
Football: ENGLAND: CHAMPIONSHIP – ROUND 29
Kick-off: 20:45 Blackburn – Blackpool
Tip: Over 1.5 Goals
Match Result: 1:0 LOST
Blackburn – Blackpool Prediction and Preview
- Despite ending the round a mammoth 23 points behind Championship leaders Burnley, Blackburn Rovers could move into the play-off spots if they extend their unbeaten stretch in this competition to six games after snapping four successive draws with a 1-0 home win against Swansea City. It was a “deserved” victory according to boss Jon Dahl Tomasson, who praised Blackburn’s second half “aggressive, quick-footed football” following a 43rd consecutive Championship game in which they conceded one or no first half goals.
- Perhaps considering that no club had established more first-half leads than Blackburn’s 14 after 32 rounds, it was no surprise that Tomasson wanted to see a better second half and therefore a more complete performance. His expectations will likely be even higher when relegation contenders and Lancashire rivals Blackpool visit in midweek, even despite already losing three Championship home games against sides starting this round in the bottom-half (W5, D1).
- It was nothing like the 11 consecutive losses with which he began his Sunderland tenure in 2003, but new Blackpool boss Mick McCarthy would have been most relieved to pick up his first win at his new club at the sixth time of asking across all competitions (D2, L3). A 1-0 home win against Stoke City was timely not just for McCarthy, but for the club too, who after ten consecutive winless Championship games under his predecessor Michael Appleton (D4, L6), were inching closer to the trap door.
- McCarthy himself lost his last eight games in charge of Cardiff in 2021/22, so little wonder he was admittedly “emotional” after his players secured their first win in 15 league outings (D6, L8). They’re still without a Championship away clean sheet since early October though, so after collecting two in quick succession at home, Blackpool could demonstrate further progress by keeping a low-scoring Blackburn quiet and possibly even leaving the bottom three!
- Players to watch: Key striker Ben Brereton Díaz found the net not only in the reverse H2H, but in five separate Blackburn home wins this Championship season. Midfielder Sonny Carey scored Blackpool’s last two away goals in this competition but with varying success (D1, L1).
- Hot streak: The 14 Championship games involving either club this calendar year all produced one or no first half goals.